Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Its me, your Dad"

Sept 30, 2009: I received a message on my cell phone while I was at a night class, and when I was driving off post, I listened to it. "Hello Odessa, its me, your Dad. Call me as soon as you can so we can talk. I love you, honey". I burst into tears. I couldn't believe it was my Dad. It was like an out of body experience, my heart was in my throat. Three or so days prior I had called a number my Mom had given me, hoping it would finally be the right one.

I had to pull over into the Lyster Army Health Clinic parking lot where I called Dan, who was at work, then I called Heather who was at home and told me I could come over. :) I needed someone to talk to, before I called him back. So I did go to her house where we had a few beers and talked before I drove home by myself. Once I was home I called him back and we spoke for 30 minutes or so. I also talked to his wife briefly. I learned that he was still in Houston and had married Sheng Shi about four years prior. It was a little weird but I was on top of the world. Then only about ten minutes after we got off the phone my sister Gini called me, which I was not expecting. She was so excited and nice and it was such a thrill. I felt so happy and loved. I knew it would be the beginning of many conversations and new relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment